Saturday, July 24, 2010

Final Thoughts and Information on the Trip



The top picture show the route I took on this trip. The next 2 are the "States Ridden In" maps both before and then after my trip.

What a great ride! People have asked how this compares to the previous rides I did the last 2 years and all that I can say is that each ride has been unique. Some of what made this trip different includes:
  • The safety training I did early on in the trip. This trip was scheduled around this training. It was a great way to both refresh and learn techniques for riding better and allowed me to practice and integrate the skills into my riding during the next 2 weeks
  • The many different mountains I rode on this trip: Catskills and Adirondacks Mountains of New York, the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and the Green mountains of Vermont)
  • The time spent by the ocean in Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Maine
  • The weather - I put on my rain gear more on this trip than the last 2 combined. While I only had 2 times that the rain was heavy, the other were just the nuisance of having to put on the rain gear and then taking it off shortly there after as the rain had passed.
  • The traffic I dealt with. While I still avoided most of the major cities (other than Chicago), there was still more traffic in most places than I had dealt with on previous trips.
I must always remember how lucky and blest I am to have the opportunity to even consider doing trips like this. It is only with the support of many that these trips are so enjoyable to me. Thank you to all of you:
  • To Cathy for her support as I prepare for and take the trips.
  • To my co-workers and team that allows me to "escape" for this time to really enjoy and relax during these trips which then allows me to return refreshed and renewed.
  • To those that welcome me into their homes while I am on this journey.
  • To those that I meet and enjoy talking to while on the journey.
I know many of you don't understand how spending this much time riding motorcycle by yourself can be enjoyable. However, to me, this is the most relaxing and rejuvenating experience I have. While I am on the road like this, I am able to clear my mind of the many day-to-day thoughts that I am normally concerned with. Just being in these great parts of the country and taking in their beauty puts a different perspective on life that is often forgotten at other times.

So here are some of the final numbers for the trip:
Total miles: 7,125
Longest day: 669 miles from east of Niagara Falls to Chicago (July 22 - Day 17)
Average miles per day: 396
New states ridden in: 11 (Connecticut, Delaware, Maine Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont)
Totals states ridden in: 19
Total number of states now ridden in: 36 (72% of them)
Total out-of-pocket expenses to me: $740 (plus the safety training class) with lodging and gas being the largest expenses
Nights of camping: 11
Nights in hotels: 3
Nights with friends/family: 3
Average MPG: 46
Average price per gallon: $2.74

I hope you have enjoyed following along during my trip and enjoyed the pictures I posted. I only posted a small number of the 184 I have from the trip!

The next major event and excitement in our lives will be Trisha and John's wedding on August 21. We still have several things to finish planning for and work to be done to prepare for the reception that is going to be at our house so busy times are ahead.

Good bye to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment