Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 9 - July 14: The great escape (from New Jersey!)








I didn’t know if I was ever going to be able to escape New Jersey! Last night there was some rain (again!), so the tent and everything thing was a little dirty. I laid in the tent for a while until the rain stopped (about 6:30) and then got packed up and headed off. My plan was to get out of New Jersey and into the Catskill Mountains of New York. The state of New Jersey and the weather had different ideas.

First it was the traffic. I stayed off the interstates but was driving at local rush hour. The worst part was near Princeton. I went by the University and could feel the “brain power” that works there. I hoping I was able to capture some just by driving by. I was able to see their rowing team practicing on the river I as slowly went by.

Second it was the weather. I had to pull off the road twice and park the bike under a shelter because it was raining so hard it was not safe to be out. The last time I stopped at a little mall that had a Radio Shack store and asked the person working there if he had anything to with the radar weather report. He had a radio with the weather band on and it wasn’t giving me much hope of continuing my escape. Finally, the rain let up enough that I could continue north. The northern part of part of the state actually weren’t bad, but by this time, I wasn’t enjoying them and just wanted to get out! I did finally reach New York about 1:00. As I got into the Catskills, the weather improved and so did the riding.

The Catskill Mountains are not very tall or very challenging but do provide many great views and roads with sweeping curves. Tonight I’m staying at Rondout Valley Campground in Accord New York. When the person behind the counter when I was checking in asked me if I wanted a tent site that had water or one that was dry, I said “I wanted a dry one and would like it kept that way all night!” She obviously missed the humor.

Tomorrow I’m off to Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Two last comments on New Jersey. First, if you haven’t driven there before, all the gas stations are full service. You give the attendant your credit card, and they must start the pump for you. At least they let me pump the gas into the motorcycle. Sounds like someone got a law pushed through trying to save some high quality jobs in the state. Second, I didn't think this was possible but New jersey may give Wisconsin a run for it money with the number of dead deer along the road (and that is not a good thing). Along with both the hot and wet weather they have been having, let me tell you, you can smell them from a mile away!

No comments:

Post a Comment