Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 16 – July 21: New York





The day started early this morning as this was the first night I did not feel fully rested. I had trouble falling asleep and also woke up many times during the night. The weather in the morning was a cool 60 degrees and there was patchy fog. I was on the road by 6:00 a.m. Considering the weather conditions and time of day, I took it especially easy this morning as I made my way across Vermont to New York.

My route this morning was to include a ferry ride across Lake Champlain that separates Vermont and New York. However when I arrived, the ferry operator said they had an oil leak and didn’t know when it would be repaired. He sent me about 18 miles north to another ferry crossing. This location previously had a bridge but the old bridge had been removed and construction on the new bridge had just begun so they were using two ferry boats to bring vehicles from side to side.

Once across Lake Champlain, I did my planned routes through the Adirondacks Mountains. They were nice to see and I am glad I did them but I think my road selection could have been better. I stayed on the major roads and some of them were not that much fun. I should have been on more of the back roads; oh well. I did spend a little time in Lake Placid and did see the ski jumps that are still used for Olympic training. Lake Placid is really not much of a town. I am sure it was much different while the Olympics were taking place.

After leaving Lake Placid, I was just thinking that one thing I really wanted to eat yet on this trip was some really good BBQ. A few moments late I came upon Tail O’ the Pup (not sure where the name came from) but it was a large outdoor BBQ place – just what I was thinking off. I had a combination of ribs and chicken. I now have a new favorite BBQ rib place, to bad it is sooo far away. Unfortunately the chicken was a disappoint because it was very dry.

The last part of my route today was along Lake Ontario. To bad it is not apple season. Much of the area beside the lake has apple orchards. I love fresh apples but they are still looking a little green. I did find one fresh fruit stand that had sweet cherries so I did pick up some of them for supper and snacking on. I enjoy being able to pick up something like that along the way.

I believed we had our first causality of the trip today. As I was going down Lake Ontario Parkway, there was a rabbit that couldn't make up it’s mind about which way to go. It was on the right side of me but all at once I felt it hit my foot on the left side of the bike. It must have gone under the bike behind the front wheel but I think when it hit my foot and it was all over. Now we know where being indecisive gets you!

I am spending the evening at the Green Harbor campground that is right long the lake shore. I am between Rochester and Buffalo New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment