Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 10 - July 15: I Found the Ocean!






Today's route brought me across the state of Connecticut. The roads were though mostly hilly and wooded areas. With all the driving I have been doing, it is good to know there are still so many naturally wooded areas. Yes there is urban sprawl in places but there are still many, many places that are nothing but wooded land as far as the eye can see.

I was planning to make it into Rhode Island today but there are 3 items I need to pick up on this trip and I almost forgot one of them! My mom collects toothpick holders and is working on a collection from all 50 states. On this trip, I plan to get one from Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Vermont for her. Unfortunately I was almost ready to leave the state before I remembered that Connecticut was on the list. I changed my route and headed to the ocean area figuring there would be lots of tourist places to buy one. Not much luck. I was about ready to give up and had already used my GPS to find the nearest campground when I saw another shopping area. It didn't look very busy and it turns out most of the shops were already closed. I went into one store that was open and they didn't have it but they suggested another store down a few doors that might. Bingo! I found a very nice one; the trip has been saved! I will have to start looking for the others a little earlier next time.

Tonight I am at a KAO near Misty Connecticut. The prices for camp sites continue to rise. Tonight it was $46 for a "primitive" camp site (no electricity or water).

Tomorrow I will ride through Rhode Island and into Massachusetts. I plan to spend Friday evening with my cousin Paul and his wife in Hudson (outside of Boston). I don't get to see Paul very often so this is a great opportunity that I couldn't pass up.

Also, since I finally had a fast internet connection. I have gone back to all the previous posts and include a "track" map from my GPS that shows the route I took for that day. When you look at them, it is obvious that I never take the straight path from one place to another, rather I look for the funnest roads to ride or the most scenic areas to ride through.

No comments:

Post a Comment