Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 11 - July 16: Rhode Island and Massachusetts










Today's route was through 2 more new states for me: Rhode Island and Massachusetts. This brings the total to 8 new states and a total of 15 states ridden in. Three new states still remain: Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. Lookout, here I come!

Much to my displeasure, I was not to find a toothpick holder for my mom in Rhode Island this morning. I stopped in several places but nobody had any "souvenir" type items. I asked several people and I always got the same answer, "I don't know". I never suspected that find something like this would be so difficult. I obviously wasn't in the tourist areas of the state.

This afternoon the weather got pretty hot and humid. The display on the bike was in the low to mid 90's much of the afternoon. I changed my route a little this afternoon as it was getting hotter and hotter and I wanted to get to my destination.

As I mentioned before, I am spending the evening with cousin Paul and his wife Kolleen Turns out this was either very good planning or very lucky. There were some heavy storms in the area early this evening. Sure glad I had a real roof over my head (and the air conditioning felt pretty good too!). I was also able to get all my cloths washed so I have fresh cloths for the rest of the trip. Another benefit of staying with them was a good home cooked meal. Grilled pork chops, potatoes, fresh fruit, pie and ice cream - it was all very good! Thank you to Paul and Kolleen for allowing me to stay with you and having time to catch up again.

As I am writing this, I have not yet figured out my next route. It will be somewhere into Vermont and New Hampshire. A couple of the destinations I would like to see in these areas are Mount Washington and Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I am waiting with Maine until after the weekend to hopefully avoid some crowds along the shore. I saw on the news that President Obama and his family were at Acadia National Park in Maine this weekend - that I one of the place I hope to visit as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment