Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 3 - July 8: Columbus to Columbus?




After I did my post for yesterday, I got a suggestion from Chris (one of the people from Columbus that I am meeting with) for a good ride. I had done part of the ride years back when I spent 5 weeks one summer in Columbus and had brought my motorcycle down. I had forgotten that you didn’t have to go very far west to get into some really nice roads. Thanks Chris! On one of the back roads, I came upon 4 nice bucks (6 – 10 points each best I could count) out in a hay field. They scattered upon seeing me. One went across the road (way in front of me – no danger!), a couple went for the woods, and the last one ran parallel to me on the road for at least a ¼ mile doing about 20 miles per hour. You don’t see that many nice bucks together very often – it was such a site to see. The photo above of "Stone Head" was also taken on this ride.

I had meetings this morning again for my work. We wrapped up with them about 1:00 and I headed out. I went from Columbus around Cincinnati and then all at once I saw signs for Columbus again! Did I just go in a big loop? No silly, this is Columbus Ohio – not Columbus Indiana!

Most of the ride today was pretty boring again. It was a mixture of freeway and back roads but not much to see other than fields and little towns. The last hour got much better and is a foreshadowing of the rode I look forward to tomorrow. It was on these last miles that I found this covered bridge.

Tonight I am camping for the first time on this trip. I am staying at Lake Logan campground near Logon Ohio – I would not recommend this place to others but it a place to get some rest. One reason for not recommending the place is I tried to take a cold shower to cool off as the temperature was again in the low to mid 90s most of the afternoon. I think I was producing more water by sweating than was coming out of the shower – not what I was looking forward to!

Tomorrow I head across Ohio towards Morgantown West Virginia where my motorcycle safety class start at 7:30 on Saturday morning. I am really looking forward to it. Based on the information I recently received on the class, it looks like we will be riding some of the same roads that I ride in West Virginia on my trip last year!

No comments:

Post a Comment